Purpose of role: To provide EHS leadership, support the development of an effective EHS framework and co-ordinate the implementation of Primark's Safe Today Safe Tomorrows vision and mission across the US region.
Reports to: Regional EHS Manager from North EU and USA
- Develop and shape the EHS management agenda and the evolution of an effective and efficient EHS management system for the US market, in line with the Safe Today Safe Tomorrow vision and mission and Primark Cares Strategy.
- Develop initiatives to work towards delivering a best in class EHS Compliance and Behavioural safety performance including full compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements and internal processes.
- Actively develop a team and the team’s skills and competencies and provide input into performance reviews as required.
- Provide US wide leadership and governance of our EHS performance and implement and sustain a robust compliance management programme that effectively oversees EHS issues affecting the company in order to meet and exceed our responsibilities and commitments.
- To assist, develop and implement an appropriate EHS support structures within the US Retail teams and to secure the operational management of health and safety compliance within this region.
- Making authoritative recommendations to senior management concerning programmes, systems and resources required; identifying and monitoring regional EHS KPI's as dictated by the Group retail objectives and targets
- To develop the knowledge, ownership and responsibility of the Senior and Store operational management teams for EHS. Ensure the legal understanding of EHS is clear, EHS is on the agenda where relevant and continued collaboration with senior management is in place and expectations are delivered.
- Act as an ambassador for all US EHS management issues and interact with regulatory and government bodies as well as industry bodies.
- Establish effective relationships and work closely and co-operatively with the EHS team – within the region, at group level, the retail team and other stakeholders;
- Work closely aside and support all other functions as required on minimum EHS Standards; P&C, Store Development, FM, Learning & Development and Legal teams
- Support the Primark US President leading the country Top Down Bottom Up EHS committee tasked with identifying and aligning risk management into key business processes and to strengthen the consistency and quality of EHS reporting to the corporate steerco meeting.
- Ensure developing legislation is monitored for possible application to company practices. Keep Senior management informed and develop programmes to address regulations and ensure legal compliance.
- Develop a Legal Register for the US region.
- Have a thorough and detailed working knowledge of relevant current legislation and guidance;
- Provide technical advice on all relevant environmental health and safety issues to the region
- Produce and update policy proposals and procedural amendments as required due to new practice or changes in legislation, best practice or legal advice;
- Ensure new store build design teams incorporates any EHS observations, standards and learnings that are noted from EHS, so standards remain consistent from state by state during expansion growth.
- Develop and drive initiatives to influence a culture of behavioural safety across the region and to lead by example to ensure that safety becomes an integral part of everyone's everyday business;
- Identify opportunities to support Senior management and all colleagues recognise good safety conditions/ behaviours / practices and correct unsafe conditions/ behaviours and practices in a positive manner to influence a sustainable safety culture development.
- Drive forward, undertake or advise on workplace risk assessments and reviews in accordance with legislation or upon amended Primark policy, determining appropriate action and priorities;
Audits Inspections and investigations
- To conduct EHS inspections and audits against defined workplace standards and activities in designated locations to evaluate our performance;
- Respond to critical and high-level environmental safety and health issues in a timely and authoritative manner to protect our employees, customers, stakeholders and reduce business exposure
- To undertake root cause analysis accident / incident investigations and support other team members to do the same and undertake investigations in a timely manner in line with Global Procedures.
- Ensure findings from investigation requiring action and lessons learnt are communicated effectively to the business / relevant stakeholders to ensure timely resolution and prevent reoccurrence.
- Advise on training needs for the business in line with regulatory requirements, EHS performance and business needs whilst considering costs and return on investment;
- Analyse the results of the internal and external EHS audits; make regular reports to Senior management and the retail teams and communicate initiatives to drive sustainable EHS performance improvements
- To contribute to the on-going development of corporate EHS objectives, policies and systems; And setting team goals and objectives to align and achieve corporate EHS objectives and initiatives.
- Carry out health & safety inspections as required by legislation, Primark company policy, identifying potential hazards and recommending appropriate remedial action where required;
- Set standards, coordinate, develop and ensure provision proficient training programmes to reflect the US safety culture.
- Primary degree preferably in engineering or science.
- Recognised member of a professional body ideally certified to senior level e.g. C.S.P Certified Safety Professional.
- Have a thorough and detailed working knowledge of relevant current federal and state EHS legislation and advice.
- Ten years’ experience in environmental health and safety.
- Retail or Fast-Moving Consumable Goods experience an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of, and ability to advise upon, environmental, health & safety matters, risk management and legislation.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, codes of practice, guidance and operating procedures. Ability to keep abreast of trends and related best practice;
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills in order to establish credibility with colleagues and senior management and to foster effective working relations with a wide range of senior internal and external contacts;
- Exceptional influencing and persuading skills with the ability to adopt different approaches and styles of influencing depending on the circumstances.
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop professional staff, together with excellent team building skills.
- Results orientated with a strong focus on the delivery of objectives, including an ability to provide creative and innovative solutions based on a sound understanding of business requirements.