The Role Purpose:
To align Primark’s real estate strategy with its overall business strategy, leading to the successful launch of Primark into the North American market.
The Global Director of Property for Primark in London, UK, and indirectly to the head of Primark’s US business.
- New site identification, assessment, recommendation and negotiation across the North Eastern United States.
- Define the tools for assessing locations and present detailed and commercially oriented site selection recommendations to the Director of Property.
- Oversee legal documentation of leases and work with third party real estate brokers to define and execute lease agreements.
- Work closely with store design and construction to ensure new locations are successfully brought into operation.
- Consult with the Director of Property, developing and managing a store location / property acquisition strategy, focused on the North Eastern region of the United States.
- Develop relationships with landlords, developers and agents throughout the North Eastern United States to ensure that they are fully aware of Primark’s store requirements and that Primark is “front‐of‐mind” when sites become available.
- Identify, assess and select new store locations and manage the acquisition process from the initial site feasibility and assessment to completion.
- Prepare and present proposals for new store locations to the Director of Property and see recommended locations through to the approval of Primark’s board in Dublin, Ireland.
- Negotiate terms for all new stores and, when terms are agreed, instruct, liaise with and work with Primark’s lawyers until closing of the transaction.
- Lead both internal and external property consultant teams, comprising lawyers, architects, quantity surveyors, and planning / traffic consultants where necessary.
- Work closely with Primark’s project executives in store design, development, construction and operations, providing them with assistance regarding property agreements, title issues and other matters of a general property nature.
- Attend regular networking activities in the real estate sector to ensure awareness of potential new development opportunities for Primark.
- Continue a program of professional development to maintain the highest standard of professional knowledge and expertise on property issues and changes in property law and planning policy.
- Manage all lease extensions, rent reviews and other property related matters.
should Primark reach its expected success level in the region and the Executive demonstrates
the skills necessary to oversee Primark’s expansion in other North American regions.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading, or having a key leadership position within, the
internal real estate function of a specialty, multi‐store retailer that has undergone expansion. It is
preferred that that this person have experience with and a strong network across High Street and
large mall developers, owners and landlords. They will be financially savvy and have an
understanding of the critical functions of finance, development and operations, and have
demonstrated the ability to work effectively with individuals and teams in these areas.
In addition, the ideal candidate is / has:
- Likely to have a minimum of 10 years of real estate experience.
- A proven track record of developing, driving, negotiating and closing real estate deals for
- expansion of a retail business.
- Financially savvy and conversant with various methods of property financial appraisals.
- A bachelor or other university degree (an MBA or other advanced degree is highly desirable).
- An excellent negotiator with broad experience in negotiating retail lease agreements and a firm understanding of all aspects of retail leases and the “art of the deal”.
- An innovative and strategic thinker who takes ownership and pride in growing a retail business.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to strategize and provide critical thinking and judgment needed to evaluate complex situations and solve problems.
- Consistently evaluates decisions in terms of impact on the business.
- Rigorously holds oneself and others accountable for achieving high levels of individual and organizational performance.
- Makes things happen; switches tactics mid‐course as needed to drive results.
- Known for identifying and solving issues in a creative and timely manner.
- Translates the mission of the business into actionable, quantitative plans to execute a successful real estate strategy.
- Sets and achieves ambitious targets and maintains a high standard of performance individually and for the team.
- Excellent judgment demonstrates decisiveness, while influencing others in a way that results in acceptance, agreement or behavioural change.
- Possesses high integrity, energy and credibility and goes beyond what is required to get things done.
- Takes appropriate business risks and decisions that balance a variety of factors (e.g., cost, risk, short‐term vs. long‐term impact) to achieve optimal outcome.
- A great communicator who is both detail and relationship oriented, and who will quickly develop credibility and rapport externally with landlords and internally with the team and other departments.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships with key constituencies; has earned others’ respect and is seen as credible by the landlord, developer and brokerage communities.
- Able to influence in a way in which s/he persuades rather than commands.
- Strong verbal and written presentation skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple way and tailor key messages and presentation style to multiple audiences.
- A high energy, creative, flexible, results‐oriented, self‐starting leader who is capable of quickly taking control of responsibilities.
- Works well in entrepreneurial, lean and fluid environments and is willing to get “hands dirty”.
- Remains calm under pressure and manages a wide range of sometimes conflicting priorities.
- A decisive individual who possesses a “big picture” perspective, acts quickly to seize opportunities and has a strong sense of urgency.
- Ambitious, proactive, and willing to “go the extra mile” to contribute to Primark’s success.